Saturday, November 15, 2008

Sean Hillen @ The Gallery Of Photography

Evidence of Controlled Demolition at The Rose Garden, Tralee, Co. Offaly

I attended the opening of Sean Hillen's new show in The Gallery of Photography. It's an exhibition of new photomontage works. Hillen is a Northern Irish born photographer. His photomontages are a mix of his own photograghs and second hand images. This particular show consists of works that transpose the events of 9/11 and the US led invasion of Iraq into an Irish setting. It is interesting that, having started his career photographing the Troubles in the North, Hillen has now turned to scenes of violence of a global rather than local importance (a move followed similarly by another Northern Irish photogragher Paul Sea Wright).

You'll find his work at his impressive website here

1 comment:

Mischka said...

I find the work by Sean Hillen to be pretty striking. I have always been interested in work that has a childlike view or design that addresses such heavy topics such as racism, war, or any of the other "heavy" issues. I think that Hillen is successful in creating his ideas in this way without loosing his point of view or making childish art. I have never been one to believe that art has to be dark and disturbing to address issues that are. As a viewer I am more interested in the artists who do not try and jam a message down my throat but instead get my attention and then inform. I say well done.